We get asked so often what books we recommend our clients to read during pregnancy and I find that often I reach over to our lending library and hand out the same few books. So let me share with you a few of my favorites.
1. Mamatoto. A Celebration of Birth by Caroll Dunnham. A beautiful collection of traditional stories, folklore and the cultural aspects of birth throughout the world. Incredible, touching and empowering.
2. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin. A must read for all pregnant women, filled with information and powerful knowledge of childbirth and also empowering stories of childbirth. Her inspiration book Spiritual Midwifery is a must read for all who are interested in home birth, midwifery, natural childbirth.
3. Birthing From Within, by Pam England, CNM, MA. A look at pregnancy and childbirth from a holistic approach, incorporating self-discovery through journaling, meditation and conversation. This book helps families approach childbirth with techniques but also with a holistic approach to addressing fears and concerns and helping birth be a rewarding experience.
4. The Birth Partner. A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas and all other Labor Companions. by Penny Simpkin. A complete guide to how partners can help during pregnancy and labor support their pregnant partner and be confident, supportive and informed.
5. Welcome with Love: Jenni Overhand & Julie Vivas. And a book for your children. This K-6th book will help prepare your child for the home birth of their sibling. This simple book presents midwifery care to the young reader and paints a realistic picture of birth for them.
So what are your favorite books? Share with us the books you have found to be inspirational, helpful and educational and we will gladly share them on our lending library.
love, Kate and Jayme